Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Day 41: Beauty Spot Tentsite to Clyde Smith Shelter

14.2 miles
Another long day. Hiked with OWL until lunch, then the rest of the day by myself. Pretty nice views today, and lots of water. I've been drinking a lot more water and am actually having to plan so I don't run out of water too far from a water source.

Somehow the NYTimes app on my phone operates without data service, so I got a notification about the Boston bombing when I took my phone out of airplane mode. This is what it must have felt like years ago before the instant information age; I knew something big had happened but there was no way to get more information about it - no 24 hr news channel available - no internet community with which to talk about the crisis - no nightly news to watch - just the knowledge that something big had happened but there was nothing I could do about it except keep on hiking.

I was very relieved to find out none of my runner friends were hurt, and I really hope this one incident does not change the sport they love.

Had 4 people in a 10 person shelter. Very luxurious!







No comments:

Post a Comment