Monday, April 8, 2013

Day 28: Newfound Gap to Peck's Corner Shelter

10.8 miles
An absolutely beautiful day outside. The trail was really icy in spots (this part of the trail was the one part that Carl the ridgerunner said that crampons would be helpful). I tried to buy some crampons in town, but couldn't find any. So I just took it slow.

A mile or so into the hike I came upon 3 older women putting on crampons. One asked if I was a thru hiker, and when I said yes she said "put your hand into my backpack and get a treat". She was carrying two bags of clementines! So I put one in my pocket for later. She was out with her friends for her birthday, and had section hiked most of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, NC, and TN. Her trail name was "Hey Jude", so of course I had the song stuck in my head for most of the day. (I have had much worse songs stuck in my head on days when the trail music gods were angry with me - like the chorus to Justin Beiber's "Baby Baby").

It was a great day. The sun was beautiful - and it made the trail a little muddy - but it was great that the sun was shining. We all hiked together the entire day. Saw "Charles' Bunion" and funny signs and had some really fantastic views of the Smokies. Overall, a really great day.

When we got to the shelter there were 2 dads and 2 kids who were trying to climb the highest 40 peaks in the southeast. Neat kids. Super inquisitive about the SteriPen (which is my favorite thing ever). It was unfortunate that my SteriPen ran out of battery right as I was showing him how it worked, but that's part of hiking...unexpected adventures.





No comments:

Post a Comment