Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 27: zero in gatlinburg

We weren't planning on taking a zero in Gatlinburg, but we weren't planning on arriving in Gatlinburg on Easter, either. OWL had some medication waiting at the pharmacy...which was closed on Easter and didn't open until 11 today. So rather than hike 3 miles today and 7 miles tomorrow, we are just taking a zero and hiking 10 tomorrow.

First we ate breakfast at an all you can eat breakfast buffet. I ate so much fruit. I had some "regular" breakfast food too, but mostly I just ate fruit. I crave veggies and fruit a lot on the trail...because I am eating junk food all day long.

Then to Walgreens, for the pharmacy.

Then, back to the NOC. Laura found me some cute earrings to wear. I wanted a pair of crampons but they were all out. Not a big deal, saved me some money and weight I guess.

We figured out that our mail drop was actually waiting for us at the post office. So we took the trolley to the post office. Our trolley driver Helen was a real sweet older lady. A kid on the trolley started asking us where we were from...we said Birmingham and Helen piped up "and they walked here!" She has section hiked over 600 miles of the AT. It was awesome to talk with her about her favorite parts.

The post office was right across the street from a grocery store...so I finally got that fried chicken I have been dreaming about for weeks. I told OWL "this is what I have been hiking for". Totally worth it.

We also stopped by the liquor store and picked up a bit of scotch for our last few days in the smokies!

OWL had a serendipitous moment. We were looking for something to read in the magazine recycling dumpster outside the post office, and she found a Cowboy magazine. The magazine had a feature article about an area in which one of her best friends has a cabin. It was a neat moment; one that says all is well with the universe.

Mellow mushroom for dinner, and then I have a hot date with some Epsom salts and the bathtub.

Here's how you spot a thru hiker in town:
Expensive but minimalistic hiker clothes
Crocs
Probably smells a little even if freshly showered and laundered
Eats everything in sight
Totally overwhelmed by tourists and/or grocery stores
Always looking for wifi
Walks funny, like maybe they are missing a 35 lb backpack that they love with all their little hiker heart
No bag or accessories of any kind, except maybe a USPS priority mail box which will be carried under one arm like a prize




2 comments:

  1. Just want to say I'm really enjoying these updates. You've walked 200+ miles so far, so you are already heroic. If you ever need some long-distance trail magic (I don't know how... paypal?), I'll hook you up.

    Jim M
    (Bondcliff on mefi)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad everything is still going well and hoping your still having a great time. Tell OWL hello, stay safe and keep in touch. We love and miss you!!!! Going to be sending a letter to AWE to send to you. If there are any particular snacks or anything your craving let me know and i'll send that your way too :) dont forget us!!

    ReplyDelete