Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day 39: Spivey Gap to Erwin TN

9.7 miles

Miss Janet slackpacked me and a couple guys back up the mountain, for the trek into town.

Quote of the day: Worry is like a rocking chair. You can do it a lot but you're never going to get anywhere.

It is a beautiful day today. OWL had trouble with a leaking platypus, so she got a ride down the mountain to the outfitter. A group of women section hikers started up the trail just before I did. I caught them pretty easy and enjoyed talking with them for the first part of the day. They are from Charlotte, NC and are out on a beginners backpacking adventure, led by sweetpea.

SweetPea and I walked together for quite a while, talking about hiking and hammocking and the AT. She has section hiked over 600 miles of the AT - up into Virginia - and leads hikes 2-3 times a month. It was really interesting to get the perspective of a section hiker - she said "you thru hikers get to do what section hikers *wish* they could do!" - that was a nice perspective.

Ate lunch by a stream. Then hiked a few miles more and meditated for the first time all trip. It felt great to take the time out of the day to center myself.

Called my parents and talked with them for a while on the downhill into Erwin. They are so excited to hear from me, and I love talking with them. Dad is still building his plane. Mom is working working working, disappointment one week and joy the next.

I remember how that feels.

Saw Dragonfly and Onyx - he got sick for 2 days and so they were slackpacking the difference. Good to see them but sorry he had trouble.

The views today were nice. I had a very nice relaxing hike. It was a great reaffirmation that I am doing what I need to be doing.

Old Goat is leaving the trail. He got the hiker virus and thinks he may also have a concussion from some of his falls in the Smokies. (He is falling a lot, even sitting down). Thinks he lost too much weight too fast. His wife is driving from Florida to get him tomorrow. I am sad to see him go - he has been a great encouragement to me and I honestly don't think I could have made it through the first day of the Smokies (up from Fontana) when my ankle was hurting so much without his encouragement.

I talked with OWL about my body wanting to slow down and enjoy the hike, and I think she gets it. She wants to stick together, and so do I. So we'll see how that works out. It is really strange, we have thrown ourselves into this very intimate relationship - almost like being sisters - where before we were just friends. We are having to learn how to communicate with one another - it has it's own learning curve but I think we are getting there.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Zag! Hope your hike is going well :) It was great talking to you on the Spivey Gap to Nolichuky section. I do envy your adventure :) I look forward to reading your journey. Have a wonderful hike and best of luck!
    Sweetpea

    ReplyDelete