Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 25: Derrick Knob Shelter to Double Spring Shelter

7.2 miles

A much better day today. It was not as cold, and for the most part the trail was cold and snow packed. Saw some little cat prints in the snow. (Not sure what kind of wild cats live out here but I am fine with just seeing the paw prints in the snow).

I don't mean to brag, but I have become a world class backpack trail skier. I skied downhill for at least 15 feet today. It is super fun, and much easier than trying to go slow down the steep packed snow.

Donny gave me his extra knee brace this morning and it has helped a TON.

I thought a lot today about the Appalachian Trail and its similarities to homelessness. There is usually a major life event that causes someone to [hike the AT / become homeless]. And once we are [hiking the AT / homeless] for a certain period of time, it becomes a lifestyle we enjoy, even though it is miserable a good portion of the time.We are set apart from "normal" society. We have our own rules, our own lingo. We can spot each other from a mile away, and we'll do whatever we can to help each other out.

Just something to think about.

The shelter is even more packed than last night. We are literally shoulder to shoulder. Good thing I am packed in between two people I like! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment