Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 30: Cosby Knob Shelter to Standing Bear Hostel

10.7 miles

Rained hard all day, except for when it hailed. The hike was mostly downhill, so it was reasonably easy except for the rain. I thought Fresh Grounds might be at Davenport Gap (just out of the Smokies) but he wasn't. Still, it felt AWESOME to be finished with the Smokies. I was very apprehensive about going into the Smokies with snow on the ground, but I survived and even had a day or two that I enjoyed!

A guy in a truck stopped at the gap and offered me a ride to the hostel. I said no & he looked at me like I was crazy (it was still raining pretty hard). He said, "it's no trouble, I live just up the road from the hostel" and I said "if I get a ride I'll just have to come back and make up the miles tomorrow". He looked extremely disappointed in me, and said "You're one of those....purists....aren't you?" Yes, I guess I am.

Bunch of crazy stream crossings. I didn't exactly fall in, but I didn't stay dry either. I heard the interstate before I saw it. So loud and weird. Walked on the road underpass under I40, which felt really weird.

The hostel is full. OWL & I talked about sharing a bunk. 21 people in 14 bunks (2 doubles, and 5 on the floor).

Dinner was a cheeseburger, bbq rib sandwich, and a rice/chicken/cream of mushroom soup/mixed veggie casserole. Pretty delicious.

I was really disappointed because I thought I would have cell service (or internet) to be able to talk with AWE. I was *really* looking forward to talking with her. But there was no cell service, and the computer for internet service was in pieces. No phone either, without a phone card. So I was really bummed.

Best hot shower ever. I was so cold when I got here...the shower helped immensely.

It got really really warm in the bunkhouse, and I was pretty uncomfortable, so I ended up taking my sleeping pad and bag and sleeping on the porch. Pretty nice- had a creek running nearby and I fell asleep to the sound of the water instead of sounds of snoring.







No comments:

Post a Comment