Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Gratitude

I've been thinking a lot about how thankful I am for those who have been supporting me on this journey. I am so lucky to have such a supportive group of family, friends, and strangers. AWE has been incredible source of strength and support for me. My family (including AWE's family) has been very supportive of the trek. I wouldn't have been able to start on this journey without their support.

I was surprised at the amount of love and support I got from my friends and coworkers. My going away party at work was completely packed with people. I had this tiny fear that no one would show up, and then so many people showed up that there were people outside the room waiting to get in. It was an amazing experience. People were very generous to me; that generosity has certainly made it easier to take zero days while waiting for the weather to clear.

I have been even more surprised at the generosity of strangers. When people who were leaving the trail heard I was having trouble with my air mattress, they offered up their own. When we were exhausted and needed a ride, one showed up within minutes. When we were exhausted and needed a ride AND a place to stay, one appeared. Before I even realized I needed a better piece of rain gear, one was given. It is amazing how many people have taken on my dream as one that sparks their own imagination.

To the people who have left me comments here or elsewhere, thank you. To the people who have tracked down my cell phone number in order to text me words of encouragment, thank you. To those of you who have given money or time so that my journey might be easier, thank you. If you think of me throughout the day and send good thoughts or prayers my way, thank you. Your words and actions are a great encouragement to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment