Sunday, March 10, 2013

Day 2: Neels Gap to Hogpen Gap

6.4 miles in almost perfect weather. We left Neels Gap about 11am. It was a little windy but warm enough, I had my rain jacket on (for wind) but took it off about half a mile up the mountain. Started to take a drink from my camelback, and water started pouring from the hose onto the ground! A little yellow piece that serves as the stopper had fallen off. Not good! Luckily it is bright yellow, so I was able to find it quickly.

The trees were still covered with snow and ice, and the snow started melting as soon as the sun came out. We had snow falling on our heads all the way up the trail. It was so pretty.

Owl built a little snowman next to the trail, with a maple leaf for a hat. You can tell we don't see snow much where we're from. :)

Up and down, up and down. Take layers off, put them back on. As the snow and ice melted the trail turned to mud. Cold mud. (At least it's not ice!). Met a couple of thru hikers from Ohio. Didn't catch their names but we kept flip flopping up the trail with them. We'd hike in front, stop to take a break, they'd catch us, hike for a bit, stop to take a break, on and on. It is nice to meet others with the same goal. Although everyone seems to be a little hesitant at first. Like we're not super comfortable calling ourselves thru hikers yet. Everyone knows that only 10-20% of hikers will make it to kathahdin. We are all out here to beat the odds.

I have ended up with matching blisters on each foot near my arch (heel side). I even put leukotape on the hotspots, and aired mu feet out at lunch. Didn't help. I think it is the superfeet insoles I've been using. I wore them around town and hiked a nit in them, but not over the terrain we've been hiking. Got a pair of new insoles, will see if it helps anything tomorrow. For now, antibiotic gel, bandaids, and tape. A cheeseburger, a bath, and sleep.







No comments:

Post a Comment