Friday, March 22, 2013

Day 15: NOC to Sassafras Gap Shelter

6.9 miles

A long hike up out of NOC. Actually walked with OWL for quite a bit of it. She is slower on the uphills than I am (or maybe she was just letting me lead for a day). Met a few thru hikers from New York: Clever Girl, Apollo, and DumpTruck. Pretty nice folks. Also saw the guy with a ferret, Domino. (Yep, he took a ferret onto the AT. His name is whatever meal time it is...so usually when I see him it is Dinner).

Today is AWE & I's 9th anniversary. I did remember to hide a card and a gift before I left. I'm so glad I got to FaceTime with her yesterday.

I was super nervous about the "Jump Up" on the map, especially after the "Jump Off" going down into NOC. But it wasn't too bad. Met up with Silver Streak & Old Goat, and walked the super steep part up with them.

There was lots of room at the shelter, so I set up my sleeping pad & bag...then went to rinse my socks. Got back to the shelter and the sleeping pad had deflated. Damn it! I called Big Agnes (remarkably I had data service to look up their number), and they are shipping a new one to Fontana. I am nervous about it, though. It will be very cold in the Smokies (highest elevations yet) and we will have to tent. (The Smokies permit system allows section hikers to reserve spots in the shelters, but thru hikers have to tent if the shelters are full). I may pick up a foam pad just in case.

It is supposed to be cold tonight, in the teens. I ate instant grits for dinner (oh how the South has worn off on me), plus cheezits, gorp, dried pineapple, and some chocolate. Hope it keeps me warm.

There is a group of about 15 college kids here on their spring break, learning to lead courses in backpacking/rock climbing/etc. They are doing a section hike SOBO from Franklin to NOC. Noisy and loud but it is funny to watch the college girls fawn over the stinky thru hiker boys. There is a huge bonfire. Glad I have earplugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment