Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day 9: Standing Indian shelter to Carter Gap shelter

7.6 miles
A little freaked out about the elevation climb today but it wasn't so bad. Nice wide trail on a gradual uphill for most of it. The ground is completely frozen in most spots (or totally muddy, mudsliding should be in the hiker olympics). One cool thing i have been noticing is mud icicles; i guess it happens when water freezes above and below the mud. It looks like stalagmites growing out of the mud. And once the mud is broken up there are icicles on both sides!

We got to the shelter no problem, and pretty early...good thing since we got such a late start. We are staying in the shelter tonight...a first for us. Hopefully it will allow us to get out early (since we don't have to tear down the tents).

Seems like everyone is either retired (older than us) or just out of high school or college (younger than us). I feel really lucky to have the opportunity to do this Now.

At the shelter tonight are country mile (he) and crossroads (she), 75 and 72 years old. They are really friendly and I really have enjoyed talking with them along the way. We first ran into them just before the freak ice storm a few days ago. Also two guys from California, trekker and pilgrim. They worked together for 30 years. Pipes stopped by - apparently last night he took a swig out of his denatured alcohol (fuel) bottle and had a terrible night. But he is ok. He is still trying to catch up with his buddy, detour. He still had a volleyball - said it was too big to fit in the box he mailed home. I would have shipped another box, I think!

Pilgrim warned us they got up early - 6:15 - so we decided to get up then also and try to get a jump on the day.

I have been terribly homesick all day. I miss AWE like crazy. I think the longest we have been apart during our 9 years together is 5 days. She is my best friend and it is really hard to be so far away. Thankfully we have had cell service, sometimes it is not good enough to call but texts usually get through.

I can feel myself getting stronger, and I am definitely having fun. But being away from home is tough. I am so thankful to have such a supportive family (and extended family) and friends.

OWL gave me a hug this afternoon, that helped a little bit. I bet you could make a killing if you charged $1 for a hug at a shelter a few days away from a town.



1 comment:

  1. So glad you posted, I was getting worried...I'm so glad you are having the time of your life...think that's a song:) miss you my friend...eat more, and keep posting

    ReplyDelete