Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day 11: Wallace Gap to Winding Stair Gap

3.1 miles
We decided to stay an extra day in Franklin. I need to go to the outfitter, and my feet need a day to recover. Because we had such a big day yesterday we are still on schedule, even with today's Nero. (A Nero is a "near zero"...where you hike just a few miles).

We caught a ride out to Wallace Gap with a trail maintainer. Super nice guy - didn't catch his name but his dog is named espn (pronounced esspin). Found out some cool stuff about how they built the long branch shelter - the wood was donated, and they were able to get most of it to within a few hundred feet of the site via old roads - and how they chose the spot for it (its a combined effort between the at conservancy, the forest service, and the local hiking club). Interesting guy. He told us to check out a local pub/coffee shop after our little hike.

The 3.1 mile hike was nice. I didn't carry a pack, just hiked with my sticks. Funny that it takes me about 1.5 miles to warm up my feet/knees/legs...with or without a pack. Good to know. OWL always likes to go fast at the beginning of the day to warm up her core body temp. I like to go slow until everything wakes up.

Hitched a ride back into Franklin (hi Mom, please don't worry!) with a nice guy who who works in metal alloy trading. He told us a little history of the area (his wife works with the historical society) - that was really interesting. I like learning about the areas we are hiking through. I am finding the locals to be super friendly and helpful, so far. (Probably helps that we are super friendly and helpful also!)

When we got back to the hotel, country mile was in the parking lot of the motel, renting a car. He gave us a big hug and said if we needed to go anywhere to let him know. Also saw Pipes.

There is a "hiker box" in front of the hotel that has discarded gear. Lots of oatmeal and grits. A "dream pillow", some measuring cups, a big can opener, and an entire bottle of Italian seasoning. I grabbed an almost empty container of Epsom salts, washed out our two garbage cans, and soaked my feet...while my shorts dried in the sun. Because I am a classy hiker. ;)

We went to the 76 outfitter in the middle of town. I bought a new long sleeved wicking shirt (to sleep in), some body glide, and some electrolyte tablets. They were super awesome and let us print off USPS shipping labels, and will take our boxes by the post office on Monday. Really great folks there.

We stopped by the pub/coffee shop and had a cup of cider, some cheese bread, and split a mushroom/spinach/provolone calzone. Because apparently I crave veggies and carbs. Got back to the motel in time for the 4pm shuttle to Walmart. Wow, that was an experience. There is so much stuff in Walmart. I always found Walmart a little overwhelming *before* the hike, now I am just astounded by the amount of stuff that is available. We went straight to the fruit, and picked out a mango, an apple, a few bananas, and some spinach for dinner. Got some yogurt for breakfast and some tortillas for trail lunches. We split a half gallon of chocolate soy milk in the parking lot while waiting for the shuttle.

Talked with a dude named "outside dog" for a while. He met a girl at springer and is going to spend a week off with her. New love is so cute.

Went in to the hiker lounge to type up these notes on a computer, and met peace walker, who has been reading this blog. What a small world! We are all planning to leave on the 9am shuttle tomorrow. Nice to have some new friends to hike with.

I have a slow leak in my sleeping pad that has been driving me crazy. I have to reinflate it around 3am so my hip bones don't hurt when I sleep on my side. I tried running soapy water over it...no bubbles. Tried blocking the shower to fill up the bottom part...no luck. I really need a bathtub to find the leak. Bathtubs are hard to come by on the trail. :)

Also, my feet are much better. The right foot doesn't hurt any longer, and the left foot is almost healed up. Now if my knees would just catch up. Outside dog gave me some tips for using the sticks on downhills, so hopefully those will help. I am guessing I have some tendinitis in my knees.

When it comes right down to it, all that matters is people, water, food, and miles. In that order.






2 comments:

  1. You went to Walmart? Gonna have a talk with you when I see you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Joel...when you are on the trail, you take what you can get, I'm sure! Lacinda, my love...I wanted to make a suggestion, since you can't find your leak: Is there any remote chance you are having the same problem with your pad that I was having with mine? I was putting the inflation piece down near my feet and I was kicking it open during the night with my feet. I turned my pad around so that it was up above my head and - problem solved! It seemed too simple, but it took me a few camping trips to figure out what was happening. Just a suggestion. I know you'll figure it out. I love you and miss you like crazy. You guys are Amazon Warrior Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete