Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day 10: Carter Gap Shelter to Wallace Gap

12.8 miles
Staying in the shelter was nice - it is far more social than staying in the tent. Of course I had trouble falling asleep. I have had a lot of trouble eating and sleeping so far.

i think the problem with eating is that we don't really have designated eating times, and we have been snacking a lot during the day. I can't bring myself to cook in the morning, so I've just been drinking my special protein powder/nesquik mix and heading out.

Sleeping wise, I am a night person. Sonit is especially hard to go to sleep at 7pm. Also, i am nervous about bears. Especially since my odor proof bag tore. I'll pick another one up in town.

Woke up at 5:30 am, anxious for the alarm to go off. I was happy when OWL got ready faster than trekker and pilgrim. Less so when I was still the slowest of the bunch. Once I get into a routine it will be better.

The first 4 miles went by super fast. OWL wanted to make it to Franklin, but I wasn't sure my feet would make it. We stopped in a rhododendron grove for the most beautiful vista yet. The sun was coming up over the rows of mountains. A spectacular sight.

We got to Albert mountain - wow, what a crazy climb. This is the first time I have seem a blue blazed trail specifically as a shortcut (and not just to water or a shelter). Basically, the climb was .4 mile of rock climbing with a pack and hiking sticks. Scary but exhilarating. I was thinking - the only way I'm going home is if I get hurt, or if a family member needs me. And I really thought it might happen in Albert Mtn. But we both made it to the top without incident and wow, I felt strong. Really it was the best I have felt all trip, like I can do anything. I can do the things that scare me. I can do this!

The view from the top of Albert Mtn. Was great. There is a cool fire tower on top of the mountain that used to be a live-in ranger station. We had a very nice rest on top of the mountain.

Our first plan was to stop at the brand new Long Branch Shelter, but we blew past that stop at 1pm. We did stop by to get water and use the privy. The shelter still had that new shelter smell....absolutely beautiful. But we pressed on to Rock Gap shelter. We were going to spend the night there, then get up early and hike the 4 miles to winding stair gap, and hitch a ride into town. But the Rock Gap shelter was awful...obviously abused as a party spot by the locals. We didn't really *want* to keep going, but we wanted to stay even less. We stopped at the next gap, Wallace Gap, where we were able to call the Franklin Budget Inn for a room and a shuttle.

The shuttle pulled up, and trekker and pilgrim were inside! They had made it to winding stair (3 miles further) and called the same motel for a shuttle pickup. Pretty neat. It is starting to feel like a big family, because you see the same people over and over.

I have never been so happy to see a shitty hotel room in my entire life. The room has two beds, a toilet and shower, a fridge and microwave, and a small little tv on a rolling cart. But it is more than I need. I ate a burger and some onion rings, split a 6 pack of fat tire with OWL, and talked with AWE via FaceTime. A very excellent day indeed.






No comments:

Post a Comment