Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 74: Zero in Daleville

It is amazing what a bath, delicious non-hiker food, and sleeping on a mattress with extra pillows does to restore a bit of sanity. Combine that with not having to worry about running out of water, or food, or storms, or bugs, and this zero is pretty much a slice of heaven.

I heard about the car crashing into the Trail Days parade in Damascus - so scary. I hope that everyone who was injured is ok. I am thankful that the people we have been hiking with recently are all ok. I'm also glad that we didn't go to Trail Days this year - what a bummer.

I am feeling better. OWL & I decided to change the plan slightly, to slow down a little (yet again) and try to get to Front Royal by June 5, instead of Harper's Ferry. That will send us home for break after completing the portion of the AT that runs through Shenandoah National Park, which is supposed to be easier (graded) terrain, with beautiful views and good access to campgrounds with burgers and milkshakes.

My body is so tired. Without my pack (and my sticks), I hobble instead of walk. My right knee is still sticking & popping, but it's not exactly *painful* like I can't bear weight on it, it's just stiff and sore. My toes tingle all the time, even at night. I have been getting shin splints frequently. But - this sounds weird - in some ways I feel stronger than I have in years.

My game plan is this: I am going to make it to Front Royal, and go home for two weeks to relax and recover as planned. If my body 'bounces back' and seems to recover after some time off, AND if I miss hiking the AT, I'll come back and finish. If either one of those things turns out not to be true, I'll stop this adventure for now.

That sounds fair, right?

Tomorrow we're doing a big day out of Daleville on fresh legs. Tuesday the high is supposed to be in the high 80s, so we're planning a short 10 mile day to a campsite near a swimming hole. Then we'll go from there. 


2 comments:

  1. good luck to both you and Owl! It was so great meeting the both of you, and I will definitely be keeping up with both of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby, you are amazing. You are my hero. I'm so proud of you. You've come so far. You are strong. You are beautiful. We are all rooting for you. Enjoy your zero and have a beautiful hike tomorrow. I'll talk to you soon, hopefully tonight. Wish I could hug you.

    Love,
    AWE

    ReplyDelete