Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 61: Helvey Mill Shelter to Lickskillet Hollow (VA 608)

11 miles (600.2 overall!)

The plan was to get to a campsite 7 miles further up the trail, but a storm was moving in and things looked to be wet and miserable for the next few days, so we decided to get a ride into Woods Hole Hostel (a day earlier than planned), then slackpack 20 miles tomorrow in the rain.

Woods Hole is awesome - so cozy and comfortable. Neville's grandfather discovered the cabin the hostel is in while he was studying the elk populations of southwest Virginia. Cool story. It is a working farm, so there are chickens and pigs and guinea hens and cows and goats outside, and baby ducks in a bathtub on the ground floor. The storm hit about 5pm and I was very glad to be inside. We split a loaf of amazing homemade bread, a hunk of mozzerella cheese, and a raspberry/blueberry/banana smoothie for dinner.

I saw pictures of this place in Ben Benvie's AT Photo Book, and was really excited to get here. Once I got here (and saw the spice rack in the kitchen), I realized that I thought the place in Ben's book was Standing Bear Hostel - that's one more reason I was so disappointed by Standing Bear (which I will never visit again, if I have anything to say about it). Woods Hole is even better than conveyed in Ben's pictures. I am so thankful to be here!


No comments:

Post a Comment