Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Day 55: Troutdale Baptist Hostel to Partnership Shelter

14.5 miles

Don's brother is trying to do an insane hitch back to Grayson Highlands - some 50 miles back. So he got up at 5am to go stand by the road and increase his chances. We took our time getting ready - it looks like it will rain outside but without cell service or anything nearby there is no way I want to stay another day.

We needed to hitch a ride back up the mountain (about 3 miles). Lots of cars and trucks passed - some people would even wave - but no one stopped. Finally a little old lady in a giant maroon truck pulled over. "I hate to ask this, but would you get in the back?", she said. "Ma'am we are so delighted to get a ride - we would love to get in the back". We rode to the top of the mountain - where we thought we wanted to get off - but once there realized it wasn't quite where we wanted to be. But, we got out anyway. She asked - is this where you wanted? and OWL said - well not quite but it isn't a problem, we'll walk from here. The lady said - well get back in the truck and we'll go! So we did.

We thanked her profusely as we left. She said - my husband...well he's deceased now...but he always would stop to pick up hikers. He always asked them to get in the back, though.

I said - Really I would prefer to ride in the back. She looked at me, kind of shocked, and said "really?". Yep, I said. I am dirty, all my stuff is dirty and I don't want to mess up anyone's truck. All I want is a ride.

She smiled - we thanked her again - and then drove off. Super sweet lady. I hope our interaction encourages her to pick up other hikers - but I understand people's apprehension of hitchhikers, especially in a town a little bit off the hiker path.

The wildflowers are absolutely gorgeous today.

Got to the Partnership Shelter - this is the Taj Mahal of shelters with a shower, a sink, and an outhouse. There is cell service from the parking lot, a dumpster for trash, PLUS there is pizza delivery and a shuttle into the town of Marion. Saw a note from OWL saying she had ordered a hawaiian pizza - my favorite!

Rango, Torch, Half and Half, and two others are staying upstairs in the shelter tonight.

The Virginia Creepers are here again tonight. I like talking with them a lot. A few of them are trail maintainers in the Shenandoah area. They also gave us some salad to go with our pizza - I'd never had lime vinegarette before but it is delicious!

OWL & I split a two liter of Sierra Mist (thinking we were being smart by ordering soda with no caffeine) - and were up until midnight riding a sugar high.










1 comment: