Friday, February 8, 2013

Leaving

I am so incredibly excited for the hike. But I am truly sad to be leaving. Leaving my extremely supportive & all-around lovely partner. Leaving our two aging cats. Leaving our incredible apartment and comfortable bed in exchange for a tent and a sleeping bag. Leaving a job I truly enjoy and co-workers I will miss. Leaving my ipad. Leaving before the finale of the Breaking Bad series. Leaving the internet. Leaving hot water and air conditioning and indoor plumbing. And for what?

To chase a dream.

I have been dreaming of thru hiking the Appalachian Trail for a long time – basically since I found out what the Appalachian Trail was. At every transition period in my life it has been something I’ve thought about. Between high school and college it seemed an unreachable goal. After college, I didn’t have money or time before starting grad school. After I left grad school I needed to start working right away (see again: no money), and knew I couldn’t start working and then quit a few months later to go hike.

OWL (my hiking buddy here in town) and I have talked for years – ever since we have known each other – about hiking the AT. It was always a goal for “when we retire”. But last year we started talking about maybe hiking in 2013. And as it worked out, the stars have aligned so that I am able to chase that dream. We have money in the bank. I was able to get on Emily’s insurance. Work will always be work.

Am I nervous? You bet I am. But I know that this will be the adventure of a lifetime. Whether you are the praying kind or the meditating kind or just the kind kind, please send positive and good thoughts our way. You can follow our adventures here.

There will be days I don’t know if I can hike the Appalachian Trail. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment