Tuesday, January 8, 2013

self-reflection

They say you pack your fears when you're hiking the AT. At first I was afraid of being cold, but I'm not so afraid of that anymore. I realize it is inevitable with a March start, and I will deal with it.

Upon reviewing all the gadgets I am planning on taking (a nook, an iphone, a tiny music player), I think I am afraid of being bored. Or maybe I'm afraid of not having any distractions.

I'm not sure exactly what that means for now. I'll probably leave the dedicated music player at home, and see if it's something I miss. Not sure about the nook. My gut says it is a luxury worth keeping (8 oz, battery lasts for a month, e-ink screen makes reading easy). But I might leave it at home and see if I can just read on the iphone.

P.S. applesauce + cinnamon on the dehydrator = delicious fruit roll ups.

Update on 2/1/2013: the mp3 player/fm radio weighs exactly 1 ounce - totally keeping it. And the nook stays with me for now, too. We'll see how many mountains I go over before that changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment