Saturday, September 22, 2012

i'm going for a walk...

Here's the plan: On January 29th, I'm turning in my 30 day notice. Then sometime the first week of March, I'll be leaving my wife, our cats, and our very comfortable life to go walk over 2000 miles along the Appalachian Trail.

Why? Well, mostly because I've always wanted to, and because I think I can. Thru-hiking the AT is something I've thought about in all the seasons of change in my life - college graduation, finishing grad school - but have never had the time or money or guts to take the chance. My hiking buddy L. & I have been talking about it for ages, and back in November 2004 we section hiked a small (very rainy) bit. This summer, we started talking about thru-hiking in 2013.

I'm in a transition point with work right now - I've learned a lot recently about how even though I've poured my heart and my soul and my time into a job, it's still just a job. There have been some changes recently that I'm not very excited about - and although I wouldn't go so far as to say I am being pushed out, it has become increasingly clear that I need to leave. And since I'm leaving anyway - why not take the opportunity to accomplish a life-long goal?

Thankfully, I have a very supportive wife (Em), and we have a pretty awesome life that will allow me to take off for 6 months and go walking. I've read 2 books and tons of blogs. I've talked to friends and family. I've decided not to take my cat (although wow - what a concept). I've started making my gear list - and as of yesterday I've started to order some gear. Ordering gear made it seem real - I'm spending real money on gear, and I'm going to do this.

Mostly I am looking forward to the challenge. I'm looking forward to walking, and walking, and walking some more. I want to know if I can do it. It's the sort of thing I only get one shot at doing, so I know I have to do my best. 

A long time ago when the internet was smaller, I used the nickname "zag" on some message boards. I'm going to use that name on the trail - I'm trying to get back to my roots, back to a time when I believed that people were inherently good, back to who I was before I started worrying about work more than anything else.

"I'm going for a walk...not the after dinner kind. I'm gonna use my hands, and I'm gonna use my mind." --Bad Religion

No comments:

Post a Comment